Upwork, the right place to start your online job. Upwork is an online office – basically, a freelancing website. It’s an online staffing marketplace, management platform & outsourcing solution.
If you are bored of going-to-office or if you have free time & thinking how to spend useful, then you can join Upwork. Here is a short review of the same.
I have personally used Upwork to hire bloggers especially, when I was working with multiple niche blogs and also, for my gadget blog.
I am not a freelancer.
Its free to join Upwork (earlier called as Odesk).
First, you have to understand the two basic things about freelancing.
Employer : One who posts jobs to Upwork. They hire freelancers, assign jobs and pay them.
Freelancer : One who applies for the jobs posted by employer. Once hired, they work on the assigned job and gets paid.
Now you have learnt the basics of Upwork.
Here I am going to take you through the steps to become a freelancer & to start making money from Upwork.
The Upwork marketplace is huge and there are varied job markets available like:
- Web development
- Software development
- Graphics Arts & Design
- Audio/Video Multimedia
- Networking & Informative systems
- Administrative support
- Technical Writer
- Data Entry Operator etc.
Steps to start with Upwork as freelancer.
1) Join Upwork & get your username & password
2) Complete your Upwork profile.
- Your major part of earnings dependent on your profile, so that jobs suitable to you will reach to your inbox.
- Before filling your profile, decide your area or domain of work.
- Fill with more information as much as possible with whatever technology, tools, programming languages you known.
- Don’t forget to add your certifications, experiences as your expertise list.
- Major thing is your Title, select a very good & catchy title (like Expert C Programmer, 8+ xp Web developer, 100% accurate – Data Entry Operator etc.).
3) Now search for jobs (don’t worry they are posting 1000+ jobs per week) & apply.
4) Attend interview online & get hired.
5) Make money with Upwork.
Qualifications Needed for Upwork.
1) You should pass the Upwork Readiness Test. Don;t worry it is simple, it is an open book test about their terms & conditions of Upwork. (even if you fail, you can retry the test with Upwork)
2) My suggestion is to take your domain related tests available with them for ex. if you are joining as a HTML developer with Upwork, better take test on HTML, it adds your value to your profile.
You can earn from $1 to around $50+ per hour with Upwork, based on your knowledge & the commitments. Say, if you work for $20 per hour for 20 hours per week then, you will earn (20 * 20) = 400$ per week that’s a decent income for a freelancer.
I hope you got some basic ideas about Upwork & the kind of job.
Its free to join so you can give a try.
Watch the demo on how to use Upwork.